Looking for creative new ways to make your home beautiful and festive? Whether you want to give your space a full makeover for the season or just add a few thoughtful touches, we’re here to help with our favourite holiday decorating tricks from interior designers. Creating Christmas magic at home has never looked so good!
- Decorating within a colour palette is one of the best ways to make your home look like it was styled by a designer. This is especially true for the holidays, when too many themes and colours can overwhelm your living room.
- Don’t be afraid to include non-traditional Christmas colours like blue, or variations on the classics (think port or olive instead of traditional red and green).
- Include a mix of warm and cool tones, and at least one neutral. If you’re not a fan of black or white, try a warm wood colour as the neutral in your palette.
Fireplace mantels, sideboards, and bookshelves are the perfect places to design holiday vignettes.
- Choose a strategic focal point, like somewhere everyone passes as they enter or a shelf that’s easily visible from your main seating area.
- Arrange items of varying heights in groups of 3 or 5, and don't forget to include light sources like candles, table lamps or light-up holiday décor.
- Need a lift? Giftwrap books with recycled paper or ribbon, then stack them to create a raised platform for smaller accents you want to show off.
Texture is the year’s biggest trend, and the perfect way to add designer style to your tree.
- Attach ribbon or tulle to the base of branches so it looks like it’s coming from within the tree. Loop across branches in a random pattern for a designer look.
- Add velvet, flocked and feathered pieces for new textures to contrast classic glass ornaments.
- Wrap branches, faux foliage or garland around your tree for an unexpected layer of texture.
Turn a sideboard or console table into a self-serve bar for easy access to drinks and appetizers.
- Choose a specific theme (natural accents and greenery, gold and glitter, vintage Christmas), or use the same colour palette as the rest of your seasonal décor.
- Style a group of three decorative accents (in varying heights and shapes) on each end of the sideboard. Leave the middle free for drinks and snacks by decorating with low accents like garland or tulle.
Create a beautiful, unique centrepiece using holiday accents:
- String ornaments together with ribbon for a long centrepiece down the middle of your table.
- Lay ornaments on top of faux foliage in an extra bowl or serving plate.
- Create a modern monochrome arrangement with all white or all black faux foliage.
- • Bring organic style to the table with green garland accentuated by colourful, seasonal fruits like apples, pomegranates and oranges.
Make dinner memorable before it’s been served with creative table-setting ideas:
- Gift wrap each place setting with tulle
- Use small ornaments to mark place settings (these can double as gifts for any holiday guests)
- Set a monochrome table with accents in all black or white for a modern edge
- Wrap each set of cutlery with faux foliage