Customer Service Policy
Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act
At Urban Barn, our goal is to strive at all times to provide goods and services in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. We are committed to giving people with disabilities the same opportunity to access our goods and services and allowing them to benefit from the same services, in the same place, and in a similar way as other customers.
Urban Barn is committed to using reasonable efforts to:
- Provide goods and services in a manner that respects the dignity and independence of all customers
- Communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account t their disability;
- Welcome the use of personal assistive devices, service animals, and support persons to access our services;
- Welcome feedback from members of the public about our delivery of services to people with disabilities;
Service Animals, Assistive Devices, & Support Persons
Persons with a disability may enter an Urban Barn store accompanied by a service animal and keep the animal with them.
Customers with disabilities are permitted, where possible, to use their own assistive devices when on Urban Barn premises for the purposes of obtaining or benefiting from our goods or services. If there is a physical, technological or other type of barrier that prevents the use of an assistive device on our premises, we will first endeavor to remove that barrier. If we are not able to remove the barrier, we will ask the customer how he/she can be accommodated and what alternative methods of service would be more accessible to him/her. We will make best efforts to provide an alternative means of accessibility to the customer.
Urban Barn is committed to welcoming customers with disabilities who are accompanied by a support person. Any customer with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to enter Urban Barn’s premises with his or her support person. At no time will a customer with a disability who is accompanied by a support person be prevented from having access to his or her support person while on our premises.
Notice of Temporary Disruption
Urban Barn will make reasonable effort to provide customers with notice in the event of a disruption in the facilities or services usually used by people with disabilities. This notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated duration, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
Training for Staff
Urban Barn ensures that all persons to whom this policy applies receive training as required by the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service. In addition, training will be provided to Urban Barn employees as part of orientation training for new employees, and on a continuing basis as required. The amount and format of training will depend on the person's interaction with customers. A record of training received by store staff will be kept in the employee’s file.
Training will include:
- The purpose of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005;
- The requirements of the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service (Ontario Regulation 429/08);
- Information about Urban Barn’s policies, procedures
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities (see Appendix);
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing any of our services
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use assistive devices or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person;
Urban Barn welcomes feedback, including feedback about the delivery of our goods, services, and facilities to persons with disabilities.
Users can submit feedback using the following methods:
Accessible formats and communication supports will be provided upon request.
||Unit 1 - 4085 Marine Way
||Burnaby, BC, V5J 5E2
Speaking to a Store Manager or Urban Barn representative.
Contacting Urban Barn Customer Service.
Contacting the Human Resources department at Urban Barn.