Winter has moved on and it’s time to think about what’s next. What projects would you like to accomplish this year? How will you let the sunshine into your home?
No matter on the size or style of your space, we could all use a good old Spring clean to clear away the cobwebs and get some air moving. Soon your home will feel as fresh as if you were living outside!
- White vinegar – cuts grease, deodorizes, and is a disinfectant
- Lemon juice – disinfects and whitens
- Baking soda – cuts grease and lifts dirt
Look for cleaning products with less chemicals and, wherever possible use homemade solutions. We love these 7 DIY cleaning recipes using vinegar from Good Girl Gone Green.
- Go from room to room and get rid of anything you don’t really need. That piece of string that could be useful, isn’t. The spare screws and half-used pens, get rid of them. The pizza coupons and old junk mail can go too. Go ahead and be ruthless.
- Set up recycling bins. What can you recycle, sell, or donate to charity? The clothes that haven’t fit you in a decade, or the neon ski suit and bedazzled jean jacket that you’re waiting to come back into style have no place in your closet. Donate them to charity, sell them to a hipster. Whatever it takes, just get rid of them.
- Empty the fridge of all the old condiments and sauces that you haven’t touched in a year. Let them be a lesson to not re-buy them next time too. If they lasted 3 years in your refrigerator door, they’re just not that good. Then make your lemon, water, and vinegar mix and give the whole thing a good wipe down.
- Take the rugs and mats outside and beat them. Let out some frustration, but wear a dust mask!
- Rotate or flip your mattress and freeze your pillows. That’s right – put them in the freezer for a few hours to give the dust mites the cold shoulder.
- Dust the blinds, lampshades, on top of any cupboards and round the side of anything that you’ve been putting off moving.
- Rinse the trashcans and put the toothbrush holder in the dishwasher.
- Replace the air filter in your A/C unit.
- Vacuum every room. Move around the furniture and really get into the areas you don’t usually look at.
- Is there any furniture that needs a new home? Donate it to your local charity, or if you’re in the GTA area and replace it with a piece from Urban Barn, we’ll take your old piece and give it to the Habitat for Humanity’s Resell store as part of our Give + Take program.