With warmer weather comes new entertaining opportunities. It’s that time of year where we can step into the sun and move the parties outdoors. Here are some fun and unique ways to host a get-together for your friends and family.
The Classic BBQ
Something I look forward to every year is summer barbecues. They can be as simple as you want and you’re sure to have a good time. All you need is a good group of friends and a few patties on the grill. Although this is a very simple way to gather a group, there are some things you may want to take into consideration to make your BBQ a success:
- Plan ahead. Get your patio/deck clean and organized. Marinate your meat 24 hours in advance (you will definitely notice a difference from the burgers you threw straight onto the grill).
- Don’t play around with your meat! More often than not, people will move their burgers around on the grill and flip them multiple times. Resist your temptation to look important at the grill! Place your patties down, rotate them once 90 degrees, flip them and rotate 90 degrees again. That way it will lock in the flavour and you’ll get those perfect criss-crossed grill marks.
- Be food safe. If you’re cooking up some chicken burgers make sure to cook them thoroughly and not to cross-contaminate.
Who can resist a theme party? I definitely can’t… in my opinion, if you’re going to have a theme to your get-together, you might as well go all out. Everything from the food to the drinks and the decorations. Have a Texas BBQ, throw a black tie outdoor dinner party, host a tiki luau, a patriotic Canada Day party… there are tons of different themes to choose from. You might think that it would cost you an arm and a leg but a quick trip to the dollar store may be all you need.
Outdoor Party Games
Simply enjoying your friends’ company is great, but it can also be fun to have everyone join in on some games. This is a great idea if you’ve invited a variety of people that may not all know each other. Here are some of my favourites:
- Water balloon dodgeball: it’s played exactly how it sounds. The team with the last person dry wins!
- Toilet paper mummies: form groups and wrap someone completely in toilet paper as quickly as possible.
- Three-legged soccer: like a three-legged race, tie two people’s legs together. Each pair acts as one player and can only kick the ball with the feet that are joined.
These are some of my favourite outdoor party ideas. What are yours?